Level 2 - Developing Rugby Skills
Plan, deliver and review coaching sessions
Who is it for?
Coach of a group or team of players, e.g. club youth coach, club coach, teacher, representative coach, talent development coach
Attendance or accreditation?
Accreditation – Competency-based assessment using formal transcript
On successful completion, the coach will be able to:
- Identify technical and generic coaching skills
- Self-reflect on own performance as a coach
- Define the core values of Rugby Union
- Develop a coaching and playing philosophy
- Identify coaching methods/styles and apply to own practise
- Use the principles of attack and defence to analyse the play of a team
- Plan and review a cycle of 6 sessions.
- Use key factors analysis as a tool for player improvement
- Demonstrate safe coaching of individual and unit skills
- Understand the concept of functional role analysis
- Develop some criteria for selection
- Discuss contemporary law issues
- Notional hours: 30
- Pre-course work, 5 x 3 hour modules, 6 game diary and a live assessment visit
- Be actively coaching a team
- Over 18 years of age
- Complete self tests at: www.irbrugbyready.com and www.irblaws.com
- Complete a 6 session diary
This course is designed to provide coaches with the skills needed to coach teenage and adult players in the club or school environment (in major Unions) and to higher levels in less developed Unions. It aims to develop coaches who know 'how' to coach as well as 'what' to coach.
Below you can download an example of a 6-session plan.
Download an example of a 6-session plan