Running in attack - recognising and attacking space
- observe the defence in front of them and move into a position to make and attack space considering depth and width of attack
- identify how the defence is set up:
- where there are gaps and potential mismatches, e.g. a centre versus a prop
- defensive players’ body position and formation – are they squared up to the attack and ready to move forward in defence or are they misaligned and still concentrating on the contact area?
- is there space behind the defensive line to attack with kick through or over?
- keep eyes on opposition to react to defensive changes
- communicate defensive set up and gaps/mismatches to team mates
- attack space quickly and confidently with support to get over the gain line